Monday, July 19, 2010

Radiology Day 1

I started a two week rotation in radiology today. I have found out several things so far, first of all many people call radiology a "kick back, put up your feet" type of rotation. As such, often people will come in and do as little as possible then leave for the day to go play. It makes me wonder, are we paying this much money in tuition just to do as little as possible? Or are we paying this much and doing our best to try and get our money's worth to be the best doctors we can be. Whether we are going to be a radiologist one day or not, you never know when a little pearl you learned as a medical student may be the key you need to solve the puzzle for a complex problem of one of your own patients.
In the Doctrine and Covenants, which are revelations given to Joseph Smith as a prophet for the Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord told Him regarding knowledge: Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come. (D&C 130:18-19).
So any type of knowledge we can gain, that is righteous, will help us become more like God because all knowledge comes from Him. It reminds me of Thomas Jefferson. If you ever visit Thomas Jefferson's library in Library of Congress in Washington, DC you'll see that his library was not just books dealing with politics, rather it consisted of geology, medicine, politics, science of many types, scripture, etc. This is the type of person I want to be, I want learn everything I can so that I can do my best to be the best person I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment